Via N. Sauro, 1-0731 786845
Cupra Montana, in the Middle Ages Massaccio until 1861, takes its name from the goddess Cupra, deity similar to Goddess Bona, Venus, Aphrodite or Astarte, who presided over the fecundity, fertility, love: an interweaving sedimetatosi in millennial traditions, rituals, customs, names and phrases that form the bedrock of a civilization linked to the cultivation of the land and especially the vine. Were in fact the monks benedettiniprima, and then camaldolesi VIII-XI centuries, to reintroduce a significant territory in the cultivation of the vine after the war greek-Gothic church of the sixth century AD It had completely destroyed the ancient Roman town of Cupramontana, making it lose for centuries all traces. The
vine cultivation grew from decade to decade on areee vacated by the clearing of 13106boschi and woods; already in the ‘500 are vineyards in intensive cultivation and screws married with maple, this technique used until a few decades ago. In the ‘700 it is then a production winemaking abundant with export of the product in other regions. The cultivation of specific grape Verdicchio intensifies in the second half of the nineteenth century, finding conditions ottimalil level geomrfologico and microclimate in the hillsides of the area. In the early years of the twentieth century began with the industrial processing of wine and sparkling wine bottling. For over half a century is recognized in Cupra Montana as the “Capital of the Verdicchio” as the center and the area where the grape and wine found diffusion and production, supported by significant promotions.
WHAT TO VISIT:
Town Hall (eighteenth century) is one of the most important buildings of the town. Made with neoclassical civic tower sailing, it houses the
PIDI of Roman and medieval. Anceh it houses the public library established in 1872 with the book collections of the former Hermitage Caves. It has supplied about 15,000 volumes, including 480 editions of the sixteenth century and 80 precious incunabula. Also notable is the historical archives with land records from sec. XV.
Church of St. Leonard (eighteenth century) in its interior paintings by Antonio Sarti, Pietro Paolo Aquilini, Clemens Kapp, a painting on wood by Marcantonio Andrea da Jesi (1492) and frontal in carved wood.
Church of San Lorenzo (eighteenth century) based on designs by Mattia Capponi, for elegance and proportionality is probably his masterpiece. There are preserved paintings by Pietro Locatelli of Rome (1640-1710) and Francesco Appiani (1704-1792).
Enoteca Comunale located in Palazzo Leoni, was inaugurated in September 1990. The premises properly restored create a climate attractive and kind.
International Museum of the label set in Palazzo Leoni (XVIII century), built to a design by Don Apollonius Tucchi monaco camldolese, was opened in September 1987 and has assets of about 100,000 wine labels from around the world.
Abbey church of Blessed Angelo (Santa Maria Serra) monastery, recalled for the first time in 1180, but certainly older; It was constantly obedience camaldolese. In addition to the body of Blessed Angelo Urbani martyred in 1429, it has seen a remarkable painting “Coronation of the Virgin” painted by Pier Francesco Fiorentino 1496 ca