City of Fermignano
Via Mazzini, 3-0722 332142
Tradition has it that Fermignano arose around 200 BC through the work of a Roman legionary this Firmidio, from which it took its name (first and Firmidianus poiFermignano). Nearby, in the plain of San Silvestro, it is believed that was fought the battle of the Metaurus in 207 BC between Romans and Carthaginians. Fermignano was always part of the dominions of the lords of Urbino. The old center (the Pianello) still has its narrow streets.
Here is the parish church of St. Veneranda which replaced the ancient church of San Giovanni Battista. Other churches were those of San Silvestro in Iscleto (towards Urbania) and St. John of Silvano.
Also worth mentioning is the beautiful aristocratic villa that stands about a kilometer from the inhabited called Island, so named because it was built on land surrounded on three sides by the Metauro.
Fermignano birthplace of Donato Bramante, the great Renaissance architect (1444-1514) trained at the court of Urbino.
In the municipal area it includes the Passo del Furlo (shared with Acqualagna). Latin forulus = hole, the name is due to the tunnel hewn by the Emperor Vespasian to overcome a spur in the deep river gorge Candigliano; this gallery it replaced another, believed built by the Etruscans, it becomes insecure because of frequent landslides. The canyon that we admire today is due to the dam that blocks water Candigliano that here form a beautiful reservoir, used for the production of electricity, about three kilometers long.
Adjacent to the gallery of Roman origin, is the church of Furlo open during the summer months.