Sant’Angelo in Lizzola
Municipality of Sant’Angelo in Lizzola
Piazza IV Novembre, 4-0721 489 711
The name of the center derives from the old Family Liciola, whose fortified residence dominated the village in the thirteenth century. The origin of the castle is certainly earlier, a document of 1047 reports it granted the Abbey of St. Thomas in Foglia on the orders of Pope Clement II. He then passed to the Lords of Pesaro (Sforza and Della Rovere) and Francesco Maria II della Rovere is granted a fief to Count Giulio Cesare Mamiani and from these to his family that held until 1885. Sant’Angelo in Lizzola was the house Counts Perticari Cacciaguerra that hosted in his villa known writers in the eighteenth and nineteenth centuries, making the town a small capital of culture.
Owned by Count Perticari Cacciaguerra is also the beautiful church of Sant’Egidio (1628), which still keeps the paintings of altar and precious antique furniture perfectly preserved.
In Sant’Angelo in Lizzola is born architect, mathematician and physicist John Branca, inventor of the first steam vapor.