Piazza Matteotti Switchboard – 0732 9561
The center is composed of a high part, the castle and a lower part, the Borgo. Characteristic of this city of medieval origin (its foundation dates back to 1150). The village lies near the ruins of the ancient Umbrian-Roman city of Sentinum. In 295 BC in its territory took place the famous battle with the Roman victory against the League of Gallo-Samnites, the city was set on fire by the forces of Octavian during the War of the triumvirs in 41 BC It was rebuilt in better shape at the behest of the same Caesar Octavian Augusto.Sentinum disappeared between the eighth and tenth centuries, not for violence enemy, but as it was for almost any city in the Piceno to the abandonment of the people unable to defend themselves from enemy raids, especially by fierce Hungarians.
Archaeological site of Sentinum: here are visible on the streets (Cardo and Decumanus), ruins of the walls, mosaic floors, granite pillars. Research and excavations, resumed in recent years have allowed the discovery of an important public site spa, permitted to make very useful suggestions on the shape of the urban Sentinum and bring to light roads, foundations ì, Tracks floors and drains of some buildings of the city center of the ancient Roman city.
Civic Archaeological Museum: housed in the Palazzo dei Priori (XIV c.), Is home to numerous sculptures and other exhibits documenting the most important aspects of the life of the ancient sentinati. On two separate rooms they are placed as many mosaics found in Sentinum. On the lower floor of the Palace you can visit the large model depicting the “Battle of the Nations” (295 BC) and the dining Perottina which houses a valuable collection of Byzantine relics and Flemish including the icon of St. Demetrius, work d ‘valuable art made in the fourteenth century.
Museum of arts and popular traditions: set up inside Palazzo Montanari (XIII sec.) Gathers the testimonies of the past and a civilization, in order to promote the historical research of the farming culture and crafts of the people and the territory sassoferratese.
Civic collection of art preserved inside the Palace Oliva (XV sec.) Includes twenty-six valuable paintings from the fifteenth to the late eighteenth century. Among these, three panels belonging to Peter Paul Agabiti (1965 or 1470-1540), an excellent painter, architect and ceramist and two paintings by Giovan Battista Salvi (1609-1685), the great painter universally known as Il Sassoferrato.
Collection “Engravers Marche” also preserved at the Palazzo d’Oliva, home to more than four hundred graphic (including seventeen drawings), carried out by two hundred artists from the Marche, many of them of great renown. A significant collection spanning five centuries intaglio Marche, entirely reproduced in a fine catalog. Of that collection are exhibited works ninety-nine, while the rest are stored in an archive set up within the same Palazzo Oliva.
Abbey of the Holy Cross: the Counts Acts, Lords of Sassoferrato, in the last years of the twelfth century. to the Camaldolese monks, with materials from the Roman Sentinum, it constitutes one of the most important examples of Romanesque architecture of the region. In the Church, incorporated inside the abbey, there are frescoes of the fourteenth century.
Rocca Albornoz with the surrounding park; building militaristic by Cardinal Albornoz in 1365.