Comune di Urbino
Via Puccinotti, 3 – 0722 3091
Located at 485 m of alt . in the sub-Apennine internal , between the valleys of the Leaf and the Metaurus . Located on two hills and is mostly surrounded by walls and ramparts.
Home to Free University founded in 1506 , Academy of Fine Arts and Institute for decoration and book illustration . The city, for its historical , artistic and cultural Pesaro is associated with the name of the province.
Birthplace of Raphael , Baroccio and Brandani . Poor are the remains of Romanesque , Gothic and age belong the churches of San Domenico (front from 1365 ) , with a Renaissance portal and the interior redone by Luigi Vanvitelli ( 1727-1732 ) , and that of St. Francis, the second half of the fourteenth century. , also transformed the interior by Vanvitelli (1740 ) . Gothic style is also the oratory of St. John the Baptist , where there are frescoes ( 1416 ) by the Salimbeni brothers .
THE DUCAL PALACE
The greatest monument of Urbino , was begun shortly after 1450, on the initiative of Duke Federico da Montefeltro , on the ruins of the ancient fortress and its realization RTEmagicC_Palazzo_20Ducale.jpgparteciparono to an extent completely definable , Luciano Laurana ( 1468-1472 ) and Francesco di Giorgio Martini and , much later (1563) , Girolamo Genga , who added a floor to the building. The interior of the building retains only part of the works carried out by the many artists who worked for the Duke Federico: remains the Communion of the Apostles of Justus of Ghent and some of the portraits of illustrious men who performed the Flemish painter , Pedro Berruguete , for Duke ‘s study that still retains the famous inlaid decoration , probably executed by B. Pontelli on drawings by Botticelli and Francesco di Giorgio Martini .
Symbol of the Italian Renaissance and birthplace of Bramante and Raphael, with its original urban structure and most of the buildings of its golden age .
Every year in August with Urbino celebrates the Feast of the Duke : a re-enactment in costume through the streets of downtown involving acrobats and fire eaters , culminating in the battle between counties in the presence of the Ducal Court .
DO NOT MISS
Museo – Albani Diocesan maintains a collection of ceramics, religious artifacts and the painting of the Last Supper by Federico Barocci (XVI century )
Church of St. Dominic by the magnificent travertine portal on which set bezel is a work of Luca della Robbia ;
St. Joseph’s Oratory , famous for the stucco crib in 1522. Guidantonio In 1416 the Count summoned the brothers Lorenzo and Jacopo Salimbeni sanseverinati to fresco the chapel , followed by Ottaviano Nelli and the Ferrara Antonio Alberti ;
Oratory of St. John the Baptist (XIV century ) whose interior is decorated with frescoes of the fifteenth century , including the crucifixion of the fifteenth century. and the life of the saint , the work of Lorenzo and Jacopo Salimbeni ;
The Cathedral , which stands between the intricate medieval alleys , made by Laurana , and rebuilt by Valadier in 1784 after an earthquake and was rebuilt in the following century Palladian RTEmagicC_duomo_urb_01.jpgforme . It contains works by Timoteo Viti and Federico Barocci ;
Church of St. Francis, c. XIV , with its beautiful Gothic tower with spire and the great altarpiece of Federico Barocci. It was rebuilt by Vanvitelli (first half of 700) , is home to the tombs of the dukes (there are sarcophagi of Antonio and Oddantonio ) ;
Church of San Bernardino Zoccolanti , (built by Francesco di Giorgio Martini ) is home to the Museum of the Dukes , out of town (you will be buried with his wife Elizabeth and his son Guidobaldo ) . Housed until the last century “Madonna and Child with Angels and Saints ” and the ” Duke Federico on your knees” by Piero della Francesca ( now in the Pinacoteca di Brera in Milan);
Raphael’s house home to the Academy , founded in 1869 ;
The Albornoz Fortress , the fifteenth century. , Located in Viale B. Buozzi and is the emblem of the city’s defense of the sixteenth century .
NATIONAL GALLERY OF BRANDS
RTEmagicC_piero_della_fr.jpgOspitata in the Ducal Palace , contains masterpieces such as the ” Flagellation ” and the “Madonna of Senigallia ” by Piero della Francesca , the ” Muta ” by Raphael Sanzi , and other major artists: Domenico Rosselli, Allegretto Nunzi , John Baronzio , Peter da Rimini, Antonio da Fabriano, Giovanni Santi , Melozzo from Forlì, Carlo Crivelli , Alvise Vivarini , Titian, Taddeo Zuccari . Some works , dispersed in 1623 , have returned to Urbino allowing the construction of the tunnel .
And again, down to the valley , the beautiful urban landscape that is enjoyed by Borgo Mercatale with the looming semi-cylindrical volume that encloses the fifteenth-century spiral ramp to Francesco di Giorgio Martini .