San Paolo di Jesi
Municipality of San Paolo di Jesi
Square D. Ricci, 1-0731 779 088
Its origin is surely linked to the presence in the territory of a small church dedicated to St. Paul, which may have belonged to monks. This circumstance gave rise to the name “Castrum Montis Sancti Pauli”, with which he was called from the beginning the first inhabited the area.
The first evidence of primitive “Castrum” is however only in 1079 and is contained in a document concerning the sale of certain goods made by a certain Ugo Alberto Hermitage of San Giorgio in Camaldoli, while dating back to 1275 the first mention of St. Paul as the castle of the county of Jesi. During the first half of the fifteenth century, when the town of Jesi was finally captured the state of the church and the government of a single representative, also St. Paul recognized the sovereignty of the pope, mediated by the exercise of jurisdiction by Jesi castles of its own territory. The castle of St. Paul maintained the status of belonging to the county of Jesi until 1808. It was in 1818 that according to Pope Pius VII, the municipality of San Paolo recovered its autonomy until 1928, when the then fascist government, the aggregated to another town, Stafford, which it remained until 1946 when he again became independent.
Parish Church of St. Paul (eighteenth century) inside a beautiful painting by Pomarancio “Madonna with the Apostles” dated 1620, the Baptistery in 1708, and a splendid organ restored recently.
Misericordia Church (XVI century) restored at the end of the nineteenth century, is particularly dear to the faith of citizens, is located near the cemetery.
The “Public source” once known source of St. Paul, has always been an important meeting place between people. It ‘was reopened to the public in 2001.
Mud volcanoes in the district and in the district Source Battinebbia. Are natural phenomena of output of gas and water from the underground which reproduce, in miniature, the forms of volcanoes.
The “Wine shop” opened in 1997, is situated in a picturesque corner of the historic center; It is run in collaboration with the Italian Association of Sommeliers.
Palace Netherlands (eighteenth century) since 1997 owned by the municipality that it is recovering. It is foreseen in 2003 the completion of the interior.