Sant’Angelo in Vado
In the upper valley of Metauro rises S. Angelo in Vado, the city founded by the Romans of which there are many traces in the municipal area, which have resulted in numerous studies and archaeological excavations promoted by the Superintendence of Urbino by identifying and bringing to light in 1999 an area of 1000 square meters in the area called “Campo della Pieve”, which was called DOMUS THE MYTH;
The ancient Roman settlement of Tifernum Mataurense of the first century AD named after the mythological decorations featuring flooring mosaicali, polychrome and monochrome, also floral decorations, scenes of hunting, marine and fantastic rich.
In this Apennine section also it stands an artery of the ancient Via Flaminia commissioned in 220 BC by Gaius Flaminio which linked ancient Rome with the Adriatic areas and the Po Valley, visible today with its impressive infrastructure, adapted to the rugged mountain territory, such as bridges, tunnels, substructures that characterize the area of the upper valley of Metauro and then through the Red Gorge, these journeys made up the various “Itineraria” that allowed travelers to plan the trip considering the times and lengths ahead and possible stops.
In the Archaeological Museum “Tifernum Mataurense” collected the testimonies of prehistoric settlements found in areas terraced river, also in a path that is developed in three large rooms is reconstructed the ancient Roman city plan, together with the exhibits and artifacts of everyday life, nellultima hall hand picking the last excavation in 1999 of Domus in Campo della Pieve.
Apart from its prehistoric origins and Roman S. Angelo in Vado I testify through its history and its vicissitudes urban architecture over the centuries. Destroyed during the war between the Byzantines and Ostrogoths VI sec.e later rebuilt by the Lombards that they named the Archangel Gabriel from which the current name. He became part of the Duchy of Urbino when Brancaleoni Dear, daughter of the Lords of the city, was married to Federico da Montefeltro (1437) and the city since then followed the vicissitudes and the destiny of the city Ducal, only in 1631 Pope Urban VIII I raise to the rank of town.
Like many towns in the region also present here the Papal left great testimony of his power, resulted in a large number of churches and works of art preserved in them, some below are worth a visit.
The CHURCH CATHEDRAL dedicated to St. Michael the Archangel in Piazza Pio XII, on the facade bears the coat of arms of Pope Clement XIV. Entirely rebuilt in 700 following a devastating earthquake that caused the destruction of many structures in the city which was followed by reconstruction works.
The Basilica houses a painting on wood dated the first of the ‘400 and attributed to the Late Gothic school of Gentile da Fabriano or Zanino of Peter, the “Adoration of the Magi” Veronese Claudio Ridolfi.
The wooden door of the Church of San Bernardino with depicted the stories of the saint and of San Francesco is an outstanding example of local wood.
The Church of St. Philip is characterized by octagonal result of rebuilding the former oratory of which remains a trace of the entrance dates back to the ‘500. It was built as a vote by the Community following the birth of Federico Ubaldo della Rovere in 1605 and dedicated to the Immaculate Conception. Ghiberti here signing his “Virgin of the Annunciation” but adapted to the present day and Immaculate oraorio. In 1700 it was renamed to St. Joseph and then to the current St. Philip. Inside frescoes and decorations of Nordic taste and a “Lady of the Angels” by Taddeo Zuccari. The roof has been decorated by an artist Tempera knight Nordic August Albrecht von Wallenstein, the subject of recent historical studies, noted the language used in Nordic style despite the use of tempera, foreign material to the painters of northern Europe, more accustomed to oil painting for obvious climatic reasons.
In the Church of St. Clare along the Corso Garibaldi single nave preserves the remains of an altar in white glazed earthenware by Luca della Robbia.
The Church of St. Mary of the Servants of Mary Extra Muros is the first complex at the entrance of the village, built in 1331 in Romanesque style in the centuries was remodeled and the result is a richly decorated and gilded with numerous altars. It is the custodian of valuable works such as a bronze of Lorenzo Ghiberti (1400 AC) depicting the Virgin, placed in the altar of the Griffin family. Woodworks including a wardrobe and un’inginocchiatoio Zuccari Giovanpietro and Cantora decorated by the painter Nordic Wallenstein dated 1627.
The Convent of St. Catherine of course, so named to distinguish it from the one called the Bastard always entitled to the Holy Site in Piazza UmberoI and so called because it was the destination of the orphan city. It has a wooden door with sculpted elements in 1500.
In the city there is also the presence of a theater reopened in 1983 with a large dining room and a gallery with two orders of boxes and a gallery named after Federico and Taddeo Zuccari.costruito after 1618 in the current Square of Pope Clement XIV, where it has its statue. A building with arcade seicentesta colonnade and an upper floor.
The house of the Brothers Zuccari known personalities remained a private residence and not open to visitors, a building of the sixteenth sec.al inside which is a part of the original fresco.
In S. Angelo in Vado you can visit by appointment Mill Matteucci, along the Via Nazionale north. An old building for the processing and tanning in 1926 it was transformed to the mill and today retains its old structure with millstones.
Another interesting town is the Museum Demoantropologico “The old crafts” that houses the laboratories of ancient crafts typical of ancient rural economy, it is located in Piazza Umberto and is open every day