City of Polverigi
Piazza Umberto I, 15-071 909041
The name comes from Polverigi nature of the terrain, on which the country is built, which is dusty and sandy, especially in the Roccolo and of the Town Park. In several documents of past centuries it is written “Pulverisie” (from pulver + suff. Isium). It is assumed that in ancient times there were no towns, only woods and thickets. This lonely place favored the arrival of hermits and monks, from the consultation of the Code Bavaro, we learn that around all’835 on the hill there was the church of San Damiano, officiated by monks Avellaniti. The Parish was included in Massa Aternana, consists of several rustic funds, and were owned by the Archbishop of Ravenna. After 1000 he was working on the construction of the castle: this is confirmed by the discovery in 1809, during the demolition of a fort, a coin of the Doge Faliero beginning of the twelfth century, and during another demolition in 1815 was found a brick stamped with the date AD 1141. At the end of the twelfth century the works for the construction of the castle and were definitely completed in 1202, its “Apud castrum Pulverisie” (at the castle of Polverigi), was signed by numerous city Marche a peace pact that ended the struggles Ancona and its allies against Osimo and Fermo. Above the main arch is a stone bas-relief depicting a knight armed, emblem of Ancona, witness protection that the city exerted on the castle of Polverigi. The following centuries did not know the facts of particular importance and history of Polverigi he followed that of Ancona.
The current building complex includes the Villa Family Nappi, now owned by the town and the Church of St. Mary Magdalene, according to the Sacramento, was originally a convent with an adjoining church of the Friars Hermits of St. Augustine. The construction of the church began in the second half of 1200, the interior was transformed, but it retains the original floor and ceiling. After 1815 the building was purchased by the Counts Nappi. The villa is equipped with caves that could be a way of escape in case of danger. Inside the Church of Sacramento has interesting frescoes from various eras. Villa Nappi is the seat of Inteatro.
Parish Church of St. Anthony neoclassical preserves the beautiful painting “Descent from the Cross” by Ercole Ramazzini.
Town Hall Inside is a “Crucifixion” of the fourteenth century., Fresco situated in the council chamber of the peace.