City of Fossombrone
Corso G. Garibaldi, 8-0721 7231
Situated 115 m of alt., On the left of the Metauro, downstream of the throat of the Furlo. Agricultural and commercial center (viticulture, vegetables, beets, olives). At one time there was a flourishing rearing (mills), now virtually disappeared. Industrial activity in the furniture, engineering, cement.
Ancient name Forum Semproni because perhaps it was founded between 133 and 126 BC the tribune Caius Sempronius Gracchus, had a huge development in the imperial period as an important center of trade along the ancient Via Flaminia. A first archaeological site has unearthed the remains of the Roman city, the consular road Flaminia, also remains of the city walls, this around the church of St. Martin of the Plan. Statues and other remains of furniture a second site where it was found a thermal building are today at the Archaeological Museum.
The war of the Goths and then the Lombards caused the destruction of the ancient center and the subsequent reconstruction in the site where today is located in the valley of Metauro to over 100 mt. s.l.m.
From 999 Fossombrone saw the papal rule in 1292 and passed to the family Malatesta of Rimini who subsequently ceded to the family of Montefeltro of Urbino, under whose Duchy experienced a prosperous period following the events of the family, and especially with the arts of wool, paper and silk for the country also meant a building renewal. The ancient Fossombrone was for the Lords of Urbino the country house and the only son of Federico, Guidobaldo the country became their habitual residence where he lived with his wife Elisabetta Gonzaga.
The Dukes were living in the former house now called High Court built in the thirteenth century. and then rebuilt and expanded over the centuries by Frederick in 1464, expanded by Guidobaldo then with a body open gallery, a reception hall and a theater, but with time and the subsequent fall of the Duchy of Urbino structure underwent the stripping of the furnishings and today remain visible wooden ceilings, richly decorated with floral motifs and the coat of arms of Montefeltro. Today the High Court is the seat of the Archaeological Museum and the Art Gallery named “A. Vernarecci “which contains a valuable collection of paintings and ceramics. For those interested to visit the center of the town can start from the main street of the city where you overlook the mansions monumental facade with rusticated including Cattabeni Palace of ‘500 said pawnbroker and Dedi palace of the fifteenth century.
The Town Hall of the sixteenth century. built by Filippo Terzi. And citadel on the hill outside the town the remains of Malatesta of the XIII-XV century always the impression given by the Court of Francesco di Giorgio Martini, a typical pentagonal, the Keep, the Towers corner.
After the High Court or the Doge’s Palace is to show where the Lower Court, a sixteenth-century building opposite the Church of St. Augustine, this was the residence of the ducal family and inside there is the private chapel of Cardinal Giuliano della Rovere grouted by brandani.
Has visited the House Museum, an outstanding example of “home educated bourgeois” of the 30s and 40s of the twentieth century, richly decorated with precious curtains and porcelain, drawing rooms and refined, sumptuous dining rooms, bay windows overlook the “Garden Narcissus “; gift of Notary Cesarini addition to this house, a rich collection of Italian paintings of the period between the wars with big names such as Carpi, Marini, Morandi, Severini. Also visited the predetermined times.
As each municipality Marche This important center of Val Metauro has a rich heritage of ecclesiastical architecture, a church vote of the citizens for the birth of male Francesco Maria Della Rovere as we also find in Senigallia, built between 1608-13 named after S. Filippo.
In the church of St. Augustine built in the fourteenth century. It contains a canvas on the birth of Federico Zuccari. In front of Piazza Dante the church of St. Francis of the eighteenth century, internally neoclassical was damaged in the last war preserves a wooden crucifix of the seventeenth century.
The Bishop’s Palace, near the town erected in 1479 on the behest of Bishop in which, despite the many changes there is a large hall onorecon friezes and coats decoration of all citizens bishops passed.
The church of St. Aldebrando in the courtyard of the old fortress of the eighteenth century. Baroque it houses a chapel frescoed by Antonio Alberti from Ferrara with stories of Sango, but from this place you can enjoy an exceptional view over the valley of Metauro.
Opposite the town at 329 meters above sea level Colle dei Cappuccini where we find the Church of St. John the Baptist and the adjoining Convent of the Franciscan Friars Capuchin founded one of the first orders, this hill also called Hill of the Saints has seen the passing of many figures which St. Benedict, St. Joseph of Cupertino, St. Seraphim Capradosso, just get here to understand why this was chosen as a place of meditation and contemplation, surrounded by immense peace between nature and spirituality convent.