Corso Mazzini, 67-0731 98991
The territory has Arcevia settlements that come from prehistory to the present day. In the town of Stone Bridge it was discovered a settlement dating from about 20,000 years ago. The Copper Age is represented by Donelle, site of exceptional importance in the context of Italian early history. At the end of the eleventh century. B.C. (Bronze Age) belongs to the settlement on top of the mountain Cross-Guard that dominates Arcevia. The area come and offer testimonials very relevant during the period dell’invazione Celtic Gauls. In places Montefortino were a place of worship and a large necropolis from which they were recovered precious materials (weapons, ceramic outfits and golden crowns). In Roman times the territory of Arcevia was divided between the Municipalities of Sentinum, Ostra and Suasa, and several small rural settlements flourished especially between the first and fourth centuries AD. C.
The origin of the town of Rocca Contrada, Arcevia today, is traced, from an ancient legend, at the time of the invasion frank with Charles the Great (VIII-IX d. C.), as it would indicate the dedication of main church in St. Medardo, once highly revered across the Alps. Established in a border area where coexisted Lombards, Byzantines and Franks, Rocca Contrada strengthened himself up to form themselves into a free city between the twelfth and thirteenth century. After several sieges papal, the Roccheggiani opened the doors to Sigismondo Pandolfo Malatesta, thus returning allies of the Church. For his loyalty, she was awarded in 1449, the title of “propugnaculum Ecclesiae” by Pope Nicholas V in the sixteenth century. It became a place of residence for noble families, celebrities and high priests, enriching way of sumptuous palaces and works of art. When the State of the Church incorporated the Duchy of Urbino, the Duchess Livia della Rovere obtained the perpetual Governorate of Rocca Contrada leaving significant evidence. In 1817 Pius VII with the Apostolic Letter changed the name of Rocca Contrada in Arcevia, confirming the noble and ancient title of “city”. The provincial road 360 which goes along the left side of the valley of the river Misa, while the view opens from Mount San Near Monte Camiliano appears and the Parish Church of San Silvestro on the walls and floors of Montale immediately after the profile of the castle Piticchio and down the valley dell’Acquaviva you can see the famous wall of prehistoric Conelle, the road continues to climb switchbacks leads to Arcevia, the ancient Roccacontrada. “Roccacontrada castle is on the edge of Brand, towers and nature of place munitissimo, et in what is the Rock to the site and for strong walls. He was not hope to be able to force havere, but for siege or famine of water. ” So in 1434, John Simonetta, official biographer of Francesco Sforza describes Roccacontrada.
RTEmagicC_arcevia.jpgLa town elongated on a spur at the beginning of the valley overlooking to the Adriatic, today is completely surrounded by a mighty wall of white stone, with four gates and towers in defense of the old access roads. Cultural, tourist and agricultural important since the Renaissance, still retains the medieval urban structure.
The vast territory inhabited since prehistoric times preserves very interesting exhibits in the State Archaeological Museum of Old Town, from the Neolithic to the Gallic necropolis of Montefortino. At the end of the eighth century it became the first community of origin franc Lombard who devoted most important church in San Medardo, French bishop buried in a large Abbey in Soissons, while in the territory were built other monasteries dedicated to St. Michael the Archangel protector before Lombards and then the Franks. On Mount Camiliano September 16, 2007 was rededicated after complex restoration work, the ancient Church of the Archangel Michael, the first church in Italy dedicated to the state police. Between 1200 and 1600 Contrada Rocca was among the most important towns in the Marche for extension of conquered territory, population, because of its strategic location for military political alliances, for the manufacture of iron, ceramics and leather. Fortinbras arm of the Counts of Montone in 1407, called to the rescue to break a long siege, called Roccacontrada “foundation of his vast empire” resided there several times and in 1420 appointed his son Oddo Count of Roccacontrada. The episode is remembered by an imposing stele at the Bridge of Goro in the six hundredth anniversary. The current wall was built by Roberto Sanseverino by order of Francesco Sforza, his nephew in 1434.
Luca Signorelli lived in Roccacontrada 1507-1508 painting the grand panel painting and the Baptism in the Jordan to the Collegiate Church of St. Medard and RTEmagicC_arcevia3.jpgTrono Madonna with Saints for the Church of San Francesco, requisitioned by the French in 1811 by the Art Gallery of Brera, called the Pala of Arcevia and returned to the exhibition opened on March 13 by Vittorio Sgarbi will be open until 28 September. In the Collegiate of San Menardo there are also masterpieces by Della Robbia, Ridolfi, Cantarini, Ramazzani Piergentile from Matelica and Venanzo from Camerino, Conrad Teutonic, Leonardo Scaglia, Cesare’s Roscetto and memories of famous Arcevia, Angelo Rocca, Anselmo Anselmi, Father Joseph Giafranceschi, Jerome Marinelli. The urban itinerary in the historical center includes the church, the bell tower and the museum complex of San Francesco, the Theatre, the churches of Santa Maria del Soccorso, San Sebastian, San Francesco di Paola and Sant’Agata di Arcangelo and Andrea Vici, famous architects who will be remembered in 2008 with important celebrations, Marinelli Palace, Palace Mannucci-Ruggeri, Town Hall, Palazzo Anselmi, Leopardi Park Tower of Saint Lucia.