Appignano del Tronto
City of Appignano del Tronto
Via Roma, 98 to 0736 86 131
Once Appin Offida (the current name is of 1879). The name is traced back to the Roman family tradition but Appia, it is probably a training predial (indicative, that is, of a specific property, mainly land). At the end of the Middle Ages (after being sacked by the Saracens), he passed first employed by Ascoli and then the Farfa monks, who fortified providing it with defensive walls and favoring development in economic and religious sense. In 1290 the castle became a free municipality acquiring its own statutes.
Very popular is the cultivation of the olive, sunflower, corn and vine. The real “typical” of the place are the fireworks, art began in the nineteenth century by the family and the Alessi brand well known all over the world.
Church of St. Michael the Archangel (XV century) with Romanesque-Gothic elements, an “Assumption” by Vincenzo Pagani of 1539 and the fifteenth-century reliquary of the Cross.
Church of St. John the Baptist (XIV century) with three naves, with a “Pietà” and contemporary “Pentecost,” a painting by Simone de Magistris (end ‘500).
Church of the Assumption (seventeenth century) with an adjoining fourteenth-century bell tower, built on the ruins of an existing building of the thirteenth century.
Of particular interest is the Convent of the Friars Conventual, the fourteenth and fifteenth-century houses of the old town, the castle walls, the coats of arms in travertine in the Town Hall.