City of Camerano
Via S. Francesco – 071 730301
Camerano, the ancient “Cameranum” or “Camburan” as it is called in slang terms, has ancient origins. The first documented human settlement in the area of the Camerano dates back to the period between the seventh and sixth millennia BC and it was inhabited by the ancient Piceno. Later, the territory passed from the control of the Piceni to the Romans. That between 1815 and 1819 was for Camerano a severe famine. In 1860 after the Battle of Castelfidardo and the defeat of the papal army was occupied by the Piedmontese that annexed to the Kingdom of Italy. In 1872, Camerano had built the theater “Maratha”. At the beginning of ‘900 were laid the foundations of the future development of industry and craft. In 1916 he was born in Camerano factory of musical instruments “Scandalli” and, in 1919, he formed the cooperative “The Emancipation” for making busts and caps. After the war, namely in 1964, the merger of existing companies, “Scandalli” Camerano and “Soprani” of Castelfidardo, was born the factory tools musicalil “Farfisa”, revolutionary for its time. They followed by small and medium industries of all kinds, though committed, especially in the field of woodworking, metal and plastic, as well as in the clothing industry.
WHAT TO VISIT:
Church of St. Francis (XIII century) founded according to tradition, by the same St. Francis, the building retains the original structure the monumental stone portal. Striking the adjoining convent later used as a town hall.
Castelvecchio on top of the cliff called “Saxon” lies the old medieval castle. Among the most important buildings in the palace of the counts Ricotti, still intact from alterations, as well as the remains of the church of St. Apollinaris (the oldest in the country).
Parish Church initially most small size, was radically transformed a Greek cross in 1676. In 1744 he was elevated to Collegiate. In the apse is a very valuable painting by Maratha, considered by art critics the most important early work of the painter cameranese.
Church of St. Germain typically rural, binds its origin to the colonies of Schiavoni (Slavic) emigrated to this territory in the fifteenth century. Of particular value the ancient organ now restored.
Mancinforte Palace (XVI century) the current architectural appearance is due to the restoration carried out in 1850. The very interesting garden located in the interior, which preserves the medieval forms of ” Hortus conclusus “.
The Gradina and tunnels not far from San Germano is a visible “chisel”. Although still remain unknown origins of chisels and their function, it is thought that these conical hills were fortified prehistoric villages. In the nearby areas there are numerous tunnels, water supply system or as a work of military defense.
Municipal Library has about six thousand volumes. Attached to the bottom Marinelli Library it is composed of 1,143 volumes dealing with different themes: dall’ascetica to church history, the mystical eloquence, etc. Of particular interest is the collection of Read Pontifical 1816-1859.
Camerano caves dug into the sandstone and also travel the underground connecting the city center with labyrinthine pattern. For a long time it was thought that they were the remains of ancient sandstone quarries or even places to store wine. But the explorations, the interpretations made, and tourist routes, which have made these caves accessible today, have revealed the presence in almost all areas of architectural embellishments, carvings and decorative details that little befitting sandstone quarries or simple storage rooms: times dome, sailing, barrel, circular rooms and columns particular architectural taste, decorations with friezes, ornaments and religious symbols are a constant entire percorso.Svelano eyes often astonished visitor a country underground fairytale full of charm , a secret Camerano where are concrete history and legend. The most plausible interpretation today is that of a residential, ritual, and defensive also not very remote since 1944, the entire underground system was used as a refuge for the population against the bombings.