City of Gradara
Via Mancini, 23-0541 823904
You can trace the origins of Gradara to the Romans. “Curte Gradarieae” was the ancient name. From 1032 to 1363 it was under Pesaro. The family of De Griffo was responsible for the construction of the fortress. From the second half of the thirteenth century were the Malatesta to complete the fortress. In 1435 he went to Galeotto Malatesta, Prince of Rimini and then Sigismund Malatesta, lord of Fano. Resistetto the long siege of Francesco Sforza in 1446, in favor of whom Galeazzo Malatesta, had given up his domain of Pesaro. He returned to Sigismund in 1450, then passed to the Sforza until 1512. For more than a hundred years was the Della Rovere, then the Church. It is thought that the castle has consumed the tragedy of Paolo and Francesca described by Dante.
La Rocca Demaniale is a rare example of military architecture come down to us. Built in the thirteenth century, it was remodeled several times until it reached its present appearance. In the castle which now houses a museum, as well as furniture, a terracotta altarpiece by Della Robbia and frescoes of the ‘400. And ‘one of the most visited monuments of the Regions (more than 30,000 tourists a year).
The theater built in the twenties, is a small structure that welcomes film forums, exhibitions and debates.
The municipality of Gradare is included in the area of the DOC Colli Pesaresi Colli Pesaresi Red and White; These lands provide a good production of olives and olive oil. Both products are sold by small farmers-craftsmen, lacking structures such as cellars or oil mills. National fame has earned the contest that is organized here, to reward the best local and national wines.