City of Pergola
C.so Matteotti, 53-0721 73731
Established in 1234 by Eugubini in a borderland, it was long disputed between the lordships of Malatesta and Montefeltro. The territory of Pergola is still inhabited since prehistoric times, as evidenced by findings of the Neolithic Age, the Bronze Age and Iron Age. Several also traces of successive inhabitants of Umbria, Etruscan and Celtic. The Roman period is rather well documented; the discovery of tombs, vases and various furnishings, in different locations in the city and witness a romanization widespread.
Pergola was born as a free city, but on it, with many twists and turns, gradually dominate the Malatesta, the Sforza, the Montefeltro and Della Rovere. Under the rule of the Montefeltro records a successful period of expansion that continues with the Della Rovere. With the passage of the Duchy of Urbino to the Papal State (1631) Pergola experienced a long period of demographic decline and economic difficulties, partially offset by the cyclical revival of the textile and leather.
Museum of the Gilded Bronzes of Cartoceto di Pergola and the city: great interest was the discovery (1946) of this group equestrian Roman gilded bronze, the only one in the world has reached us. Despite many years of study and restoration, it is not possible attribution of certain figures represented (certainly a royal family) and this mystery only adds to her charm. The group of the Gilded Bronzes, after a quarrel with Ancona over many decades has finally found its place in the town Cesanense, attracting every year thousands of tourists from around the world. For some time the same exhibition space has also become the City Museum with the collection and picture gallery.
Cabinet Geological and Botanical “Piccinini” museum of science and technology.