Serra San Quirico
This hill is an offshoot of a mountain, with its imposing mass, looming over the entire country: the mountain country and are one inseparable block. The “ship” or rather, the “Galleon” is Serra San Quirico, from the old country illustrious past.
The history of Serra dates back to the Roman expansion into Umbria and Piceno, that is, from the third century BC, when Rome finally managed to prevail over the Gauls. According to tradition, the original military outpost became a real town, in 163 a. C.
Towards the tenth century the village assumed a configuration similar to today’s, when it was equipped with walls and fortress. After being a free commune in the thirteenth century, Serra passed during the fourteenth century, under the rule of the Church, who made a citadel in arms and settled there fierce militia. In 1374 they were completed the works of reconstruction of the Fortress, the most important fortress, and the walls, reinforced by twelve towers. Francesco Sforza, captured it in 1444. During the Renaissance, Serra was also a fervent place of culture had a chair of Greek letters, stayed there Annibale Caro, the distinguished scholar who vulgarized the Aeneid. Many Serrani, since the fifteenth century, is dedicated to the manufacture of saltpetre for making gunpowder, activities which continued until the proclamation of the Kingdom of Italy.
The Copertelle: They are covered walkways next to the walls, perhaps Lombard origin, are dominated in turn from the homes. The result is a complex impregnable. In peacetime the copertelle represented the seat of the craft of various corporations.
The Tower of the Fortress: It ‘a defense tower of the’ 300, bulwark of the country and lookout point to dominate the Vallesina. The tower is the main element of the complex called “The Keep” conceived as a fortress within the fortress and consists of two towers and the Captain’s House.
Church of Saint Lucia: from the end of the thirteenth century, was totally destroyed in 1650 and rebuilt in Baroque style. And ‘rich in valuable works such as the altar of polychrome marble (1739) and the five large paintings in the apse made by Guido Reni, Pasqualino Rossi Romanelli, Giuseppe Cesari said Cavalier of Alpine.
Church of San Quirico: dedicated to Saints Quirico and Judith was founded in the early years after 1000. Several times restored was completely rebuilt after the disastrous earthquake of 1744. The church has the title of “church.” Apse is kept the relic of the Holy Thorn (who composed the crown of Christ). Spina shows the tip severed and bloodstained.
Church of St. Francis is the largest in the country. Built in 1262, with the adjoining Franciscan monastery now used as private homes.
Former church Santa Maria del Mercato: Romanesque-style building of 1289. The main element is the square bell tower considered the most beautiful of the Area. The exterior still retains the original features, while the interior has changed to be used as a theater.