Town of Tavullia
Via Roma, 81 to 0721 477 911
Originally the name of the village was “Tomb of Pesaro”, changed in Tavullia in 1938, named after the nearby river Tavollo.
The origins of the site date back to the Middle Ages; you can still see the city walls and the keep of the castle, the historical events are closely linked to political and military vicissitudes of the city of Pesaro and the struggles of the families of Malatesta and Montefeltro. The castle remains today a memory in the Church of the Brotherhood of Our Lady of Mercy, with a cell built to save a fresco depicting sacred figures. There are also the walls of two other important castles, and to what diMontelevecchie Monteluro, both very highly sought after for their strategic position. Castle Montelevecchie (now Belvedere Fogliense) so named because it housed the “old” courtesans, are drawings made in the seventeenth century and the nineteenth century by dalMingucci Liverani. Even the castle Monteluro little remains, only the ruins of the Tower of Piran, a small but important tasks fortress with lookout on the road that led from Urbino in Romagna, passed hands several times between the Montefeltro and Malatesta.
Nevertheless, we Tavullia has become famous throughout the world for being the birthplace of the legendary Valentino Rossi, MotoGP world champion and one of the most popular sports in the world.
The municipal area, there are also several churches, some intact, while the other remained only ruins. The most important and popular is certainly that of “St. Lawrence Martyr,” which it houses the relics.