City of Ostra
Martyrs’ Square, 5-071 7980606
Ostra named after the ancient Umbrian-Gallic, once located on the banks of the river Misa, destroyed by the Goths in 409 AD In 1194, after a long period of popular unrest it became a free commune, escaping the hegemony of the Archbishops of Ravenna.
In the period of the Lords it was dominated by the Paganelli, Malatesta, Braccio da Montone, Sforza and Montefeltro. Suffered greatly for the abuses of the Troops of Ventura, which many took turns in its territory, tantochè in 1454, decided by consensus the demolition of the fortress, he finally puts under the direct rule of the Church. Since then he suffered the fate of the Papal States until the unification of Italy.
Martyrs Square bordered by the Town Hall, two stately mansions, the Church of St. Francis and the Civic Tower. This structure dates back to 1400 exactly, with one variant: alongside the tower, built in the sixteenth century., There was the Church of St. John, which was destroyed by bombing in the last war.
Civic Tower (XVI century) symbol of the city, was built as a tower Campanara (the bell of 1631) and the clock. After World War II, the tower was restored and opened er you would find that foundation. It was then created a strong base and the tower was raised even more upward. Currently it measures 33 meters high. From the top you can enjoy a splendid view on clear days reaches up to the Republic of San Marino.
Town Hall (eighteenth century) built on the foundations of the former fifteenth-century building. It features an elegant portico and is connected to two side buildings, the home of the headquarters respectively Podesta on the one hand and on the other of the Teatro Comunale. Inside is the Sala Magna, the Portrait Gallery, the hall of Pope Pius VI and a Madonna on wood, of the XV century.
City Walls (XIV century) with 9 towers that space out the path of 1,200 meters. In the middle of stretching Martyrs Square, on which stand the Town Hall (1749), which is attached to the Teatro La Victoria, elegant architectural jewel of 1863, the Civic Tower built in the sixteenth century as a tower Campanara and renovated in 1950, and the Church of St. Francis, which houses a chapel dedicated to the patron S. Gaudenzio, painted by Giovanni Bellini. Elegant palaces of the seventeenth and eighteenth century overlooking the main streets. Among the places of worship is leading the Sanctuary of the Crucifix, with the ancient portal of 1333, which houses the carving of the dying Christ by Bartolomeo Silvestri Verrucchio. In the immediate vicinity of the old town are located the Sanctuary of the Madonna of the Rose (1754), which houses a rich collection of votive tablets, and the Shrine of St. Mary appeared (1900).
The scenic beauty of Ostra have been awarded by the Italian Touring Club with the award, in 2003, the quality mark “Orange Flag”.