City of Monte Urano
Liberty Square, 2-0734 848 720
The history of this small town in the Marche goes hand in hand with that of the Abbey of Farfa, from which depended on many cities of the Marca Fermana in the Tenna Valley, the Benedictine monks will have many groups, foundations and development of these towns.
Its origin probably dates back to Roman times but the first documents that have survived that ensure the existence as a town date back to the year 1000.
Castrum Monturani was appointed in Chronicon Farfense and part of the estate of the Monks of the Abbey as their Curtisi des Fassinaria.
A separate chapter should be devoted to this powerful Abbey, in fact Farfa in his heyday period we had a number of cities in the Valley of the River Tenna including Fermo (as already mentioned) Sant’Elpidio a Mare, Torre San Patrizio, Rapagnano, Montegiorgio, grottazzolina, Belmonte Piceno and many others in the Aso Valley and also in the various centers piceni, but list them all would be too long.
The convent of Monte Urano was founded by Farfa but also their stories later centuries intersect with those of the Bishopric of Fermo as well as the succession of the possessions of the various centers.
Monte Urano in 1236 strengthens its city walls, according to a Papal Edict imposed for all the centers of Le Marche by Pope Honorius III and a few years after signing a pact of allegiance with the future Doge of Venice Ranieri Zeno possessor of some urban centers of the stop, so even the small town of Monte Urano then suffer the same fate of his Lord Fermo Municipality that in the press that Statuta Firmanorum (statutes citizens) of 1507 the distinguished title of Castle less.
In the fifteenth century. Were rebuilt and fortified its walls also because of his peasant struggles with the nearby town of Sant’Elpidio for which must intervene the authority of Pope Gregory XIII.
Then sacked from these, it was rebuilt by Francesco Sforza in 1445.
The historic center of the city today is surrounded by the old city walls with two gates, one with arched tower and clock, the second is dettala door Balvardo presenting an arch pointed arch.
Noteworthy are a Church of the Romanesque period dedicated to St. Mary Apparent with seventeenth-century portal and the neoclassical church of St. Michael the Archangel in which are kept a wooden crucifix of ‘700, a processional cross of the’ 500 and a Madonna painted by Luigi Fontana.
His current wealth lies in its strategic location a few steps from the Adriatic costre with all centers offering visitors many leisure and entertainment, and is immersed in the quiet countryside of the Marche where you can ‘enjoy a landscape of gentle hills and wonderful colors in all seasons of the year and the richness of the mountains near.