City of Cartoceto
Piazza Rusticucci 1-0721 898123
Already it inhabited in Roman times, as documented by an inscription (49 BC) discovered near the Pieve. In the Middle Ages it acquired strategic importance as to be provided with fortress (1351) remained in operation until 1572, when it was destroyed by a violent earthquake that ruined a large part of the old town. The first were the lords Malatesta, who followed the city of Fano, which remained tied until the Unification of Italy.
Palace Rusticucci summer seat of the powerful cartinale Rusticucci Jerome (1537-1603), who Cartoceto gave birth and who became, very young, Secretary of State, before Pope Pius V and later of Pope Sixtus V.
Marcolini palace entrance of the village, the birthplace of Count Camillo Marcolini, singular figure of literary and historical.
Municipal Theatre of Triumph (1801) partially renovated, with all wooden boxes numbered and arranged in three rows, active since more than half of 1900. It looks forward to returning to its former glory with the curtain of Romolo Liverani. Among the theaters of the province is the third-oldest, after those of Pergola and Mondavio.
Parish Church of the Apostles Peter and Paul, the oldest evidence religious and civil, place of spiritual call and assembly meetings. Inside it is reported: an organ to seven registers from 1682, a wooden cross with scagliole miniature pearl depicting moments of the passion of Christ, the wooden statues of the patron saints of baroque art and a crucifixion of the eighteenth century. On the outside wall is a plaque Roman 79 BC
Santa Maria del Soccorso (XVIII sec.) Vanvitelliano austere style church built on the foundations of an ancient convent of the XVI century. Among the paintings there is the Madonna del Latte of 1500, a Blessed Conception and a Flagellation attributed to Bartolomeo Morganti, the Madonna del Soccorso scula Marche.
Santa Maria della Misericordia distinguished collegiate built in 1831 with a good part of the remains of the original church that was under the castle walls. Contains a kiosk at the end of ‘400, in a neo-classical chapel specially built, held dispenser of miracles and called “Our Lady of Grace”; a painting, a gift of Cardinal Rusticucci, from the workshop of Barocci, and another work of Morganti. Altar “Madonna della Misericordia” attributed to Simone Contarini. Particular mention deserves the organ of 1779.