The town of Camerino
Corso Vittorio Emanuele II, 17-0737 634711
Ancient settlement of the Umbrians Camerti, the town of Camerino, from Kamars: (rock, rock) in the Roman had a significant role, as evidenced by the treaty of alliance with equal conditions stipulated by the Urbs in 309 BC Bishopric as early as 465, he had a huge ecclesiastical jurisdiction for over a millennium. Erected by Charlemagne in the capital of the homonymous brand became part of the possessions of the Church, still we managed to create a space of autonomy, especially in the communal.
Gentile da Varano, since the second half of the thirteenth century, it laid the groundwork for the lordship of his family. Under the Da Varano, until the mid ‘500, Camerino know the period of more intense political and cultural vitality. From 1545 the city back under the direct rule of the Holy See. In 1860 it was annexed to the plebiscite, the Kingdom of Italy.
The Palazzo Ducale, the da Varano (beautiful courtyard of the fifteenth century.), Is now home to the university founded in 1727, already free, become the state in 1958 (law; pharmacy; mathematical, physical and natural veterinary medicine, architecture) . Annexes university: the Library Valentinian, the botanical garden, the Museum of Zoology and Comparative Anatomy and observatory meteorologico.L’ex church of San Francesco houses the Municipal Art Gallery.
Noteworthy are also the fortress of the Duke Valentino (1502), the archbishop’s palace of the sixteenth century. The church of San Venanzio of the fifteenth century. (Rebuilt after the earthquake of 1799) and the bronze statue of Pope Sixtus V, Tiburcio Vergelli work of Camerino, in Piazza Cavour. Nearby, the imposing ruins of medieval castles.