Castelleone di Suasa
The ancient site of Suasa is located in the Valley adjacent to the hill on a terrace near the river Cesano called today Pian Volpello, on which in medieval times it develops what is the current centro.Nella valley are the remains of the ancient town hall Roman founded it the third century BC after the battle of the nations during the third Punic War between the Roman army and the alliance between the ancient populations of the Etruscans, Samnites, Gauls Ssuasa1enoni and Umbria.
This site is located along the ancient Via Flaminia, and over the centuries it was an important point rifetimento for the people of the valley until you get in the first century. A.D. political autonomy and the “dignity municipal” which saw increasing value and importance which was followed by the general application of important monuments such as the ‘amphitheater, the theater and forum shopping.
This architectural heritage is now part of a “Regional Archaeological Park of the Roman city of Suasa” thanks to the excavations carried out by the Department of Archaeology of the ‘University of Arts in Bologna is unearthed the site of the ancient city of the late imperial period and the its assets every year adds more and more sees already visited a Roman “Domus patrician Coiedii” of the second century. A.D. an open-air museum made possible thanks to innovative walkways that allow the visit of the paving stones formed by polychrome marble of a beautiful taste. It is part of the archeological center also the amphitheater which today is imoreziosito in summer by numerous events and theater performances.
suasaLa history of this small town is dotted with numerous changes of domination, after the decline of society and of its economy in 1102 becomes the late imperial pissedimento the important abbey of Fonte Avellana first and that of S. Lorenzo in Campo then, in medieval period is dominated by the family Castracane the end of ‘300, then move under the control of the Della Rovere 1474 that took the entire valley under their rule after the ascent to the papacy of Pope Sixtus IV precisely Della Rovere. As for all the territories marchgiani the site of Castelleone remains under the papacy, first with the family linked to it who ruled until 1641, then returning in the Papal States.
The current name of Castelleone of Suasa dates from the thirteenth century. to replace the old one of Conocla and its city walls in the same year are extended to the current length that encloses the current medieval old town.
In its territory the nuerosi neighboring towns are the remains of ancient settlements that have endured over the centuries, today form the many villages and hamlets of Suasa and ognueno is guardian of rural chapels that now contain the essence of culture and sgricola peasant place .
The typical product of the area is the onion, a staple food ingredient and the economy of the country so that the inhabitants were called “cipollari”, and now celebrated in a local gastronomic event that takes place at the end of September.
Within the city walls lies the historical center, enriched by palaces one stands out among the many and the sixteenth century Palazzo Campiano wanted and inhabited by the Della Rovere family rhyme all by Marquis Ippolito of San Lorenzo in Campo to the Duchess Livia Della Rovere of Urbino who is called the backyard of the house. Now houses the Archaeological Museum citizen entitled to Alvaro Casagrande opened in 2000 which houses and set up the most important objects found as a result of the archaeological excavations of the Roman city, from everyday objects and everyday life in statues and frescoes of Domus, the latter along with those of Pompeii I am a rare example of Roman painting we know little about.
Medieval Village with part of the well preserved walls; Palace Compiano – Della Rovere built by Marquis Ippolito Della Rovere, was the residence of her daughter Livia, last Duchess of Urbino. A few years municipal property houses the Archaeological Museum.
Archaeological Park of Suasa digs even newer neighborhood Pian Volpiello, you can amminare what remains of the rich city of Suasa destroyed after the imperial age.
Parish Church of SS. Peter and Paul of the second half of the ‘500, inside pregievolil altar paintings and a precious wooden crucifix dele’ 600.
Church of St. Francis of Paola (XVII sec.) Stands out for its original façade Central.
Chapel of St. Martin characteristic rural church where in November, before sowing takes place the traditional “Blessing of the seeds.”