City of Montecarotto
Via G. Marconi, 11-0731 89131
Montecarotto becomes part of recorded history beginning with the first decades of the twelfth century. More precise Montecarotto you have when it emerges the reality of the Parish of the same name, one of the seven existing in the territory of the Diocese of Jesi. LaPieve Montecarotto, if not the most important of the Diocese of Jesi, was certainly the largest, extending to almost 60 square kilometers. Montecarotto became part of the territory of Jesi, as one of the 16 castles of his Peasantry, indeed the most important after Massaccio (today Cupramontana). The beautiful city walls built in 1509 and designed by architect Albertino di Giacomo from Cremona. In 1808 with the establishment of the Napoleonic Kingdom of Italy, he ceased definitively the ancient relationship between Jesi and the Castles of the County who acquired autonomy. The annexation of the Marches to the Kingdom of Italy in 1860 meant yet further recognition of the importance of Montecarotto, that at the end of the nineteenth century was over 3000 inhabitants and became the capital of the District, in whose jurisdiction were the municipalities of Serra dei Conti, Poggio San Marcello, Castelplanio, Merganser and Rosora.
WHAT TO VISIT:
City Wall (XVI century) built on the previous medieval walls are among the most significant fortifications of the Area.
Municipal Theatre (nineteenth century) built to a design by architect. Raffaele Grilli di Jesi, is currently closed for renovations. In adjacent rooms it is under construction Museum of Mail Art.
Church of St. Philip (XII century) already church of Our Lady of Grace, the building include the organ Vici (1830).
Church of the Crucifix (XVIII century) pregievole preserves a wooden crucifix of the seventeenth century.
Collegiate Church of SS. Annunziata (XVIII century) built on existing buildings, inside they are preserved frescoes of the school of the Blessed Angelco, a canvas of Ramazzani of 1588 as well as other interesting dipindi, wooden sculptures and objects of gold.
Church of San Francesco (seventeenth century) retains a Nativity by Antonio Massi di Jesi and an organ dell’istriano Peter Nacchini (eighteenth century).